Payouts are payments originated by businesses and destined for recipients. Types of payouts include payroll, freelance/contractor payments, gaming winnings, supplier payments, tax refunds, and other types of disbursements.
Paying out is as mission-critical as accepting payments, but payouts reliant on traditional payment rails and currencies are often expensive, opaque, and slow. OpenNode's Bitcoin Payouts deliver material benefits to payout platforms/originators and recipients.
OpenNode provides businesses with a compliant, simple, automated, and cost-effective way to initiate secure, near-instant Bitcoin Payouts to recipients around the world.
Requirements & Activation
In order to be able to send Bitcoin Payouts using OpenNode, businesses must complete KYB/KYC. Additionally, if funding BTC Payouts with local currency, businesses must:
1. Possess a real (not virtual) Bank Account.
2. Complete the Bank Account Verification process.
3. Hold corporate registration in one of our supported countries.
4. Transact in one of our supported currencies: USD, EUR, GBP, BRL, MXN, and AUD.
OpenNode will activate Payouts for the account upon fulfillment of the above requirements. Depending on the value and volume of Payouts, businesses may be required to provide additional KYC for recipients.
Funding Bitcoin Payouts
OpenNode supports several options for funding Bitcoin payouts. Businesses can:
1. Accept Bitcoin (and Debit/Credit Card/ApplePay) for retail sales activity
BTC or local currency earned via merchant acceptance can be used as a source of funds for BTC Payouts.
2. Pay into OpenNode account - Deposit local currency via Wire Transfer
- Businesses can deposit local currency via wire transfer. To initiate a pay-in using local currency, please contact email@example.com.
- The current pay-in limit is USD 150K equivalent per day.
- Local currency can be converted to BTC in two ways:
- via OpenNode's Exchange API (for more information, see our documentation).
- initiation conversion on our web platform.
Note: Local currency does not have to be converted to BTC in order to initiate a BTC payout (for more information, see Initiation Bitcoin Payouts).
3. Pay into OpenNode account - Transfer BTC
- BTC can easily be transferred to a business's OpenNode account. To initiate a pay-in using BTC, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Businesses can choose to convert BTC to local currency at the time of transfer or hold BTC in their OpenNode account.
Initiating Bitcoin Payouts
Simple, automated BTC Payouts can be initiated via OpenNode's Withdrawal API for Transfers.
- If using BTC as a source of funds, refer to our developer portal for information on how to start using the Withdrawal API:
- If using local currency as a source of funds, please contact email@example.com to get started.
BTC Payouts to third parties can also be initiated from within the Merchant Dashboard using the Bitcoin Transfer feature.
Payouts are completed in near real-time once they are initiated. Businesses are responsible for notifying recipients of BTC Payouts to their BTC wallet.
OpenNode carries out full KYC and KYB checks as part of business onboarding for Bitcoin Payouts. This includes verification of ultimate beneficial owner identities, intentions, and activities.
In addition, OpenNode:
- works with Bank/Exchange partners to establish business source of funds.
- monitors transactions for unusual spikes inactivity.
- keeps detailed records of transactions.
- has the facility to electronically report any suspicious activity that may arise.
- may require additional KYC for Payout recipients.
OpenNode charges businesses a flat 1% per transaction processing fee for BTC Payouts. Fees may be higher for high-risk industries. Note: Businesses that have Payouts enabled will also be charged a per-transaction processing fee for Bitcoin Transfers initiated from the Merchant Dashboard.
When deposit and/or conversion of local currency is part of the process, typical fees - not charged by OpenNode - will also include:
Business Pay In
- Wire transfer fee for local currency deposit ($10-$30 for the U.S.).
- Nominal/small fee for BTC transfer.
- No conversion fee.
- Exchange rate.
Recipients are not charged any fees to receive BTC but will incur some cost when they convert to local currency and initiate a bank transfer.